Jessica On The Web – Thursdays
January 17, 2007 in Jessica
Jessica will be posting on Thursdays until the end of the school year. As for me, I’ll be posting at random times on a daily basis.
What People Are Saying
- Nilima Sharma on Blog Tag Game
- Nilima Sharma on Google and WorldCat
- health on Five Things To Do With A PC When You Have No Internet Connection
- Home Life Preserver - Easy Home Bar Plans on Ditech’s “People Are Smart” Commercial Was A Smart Move
- Asif on Daytipper – Pay Per Post? Get Paid For A Tip.
- Simran on Daytipper – Pay Per Post? Get Paid For A Tip.
- Sofia on Daytipper – Pay Per Post? Get Paid For A Tip.
- Sonia on Daytipper – Pay Per Post? Get Paid For A Tip.
- Shyna Sabrawal on Daytipper – Pay Per Post? Get Paid For A Tip.
- Ankita Verma on WebmasterWorld Launches Social Media Tagging and Bookmarking Optimization Forum
People Are Interested In
- raze: Dictionary.com Word of the Day August 23, 2014raze: to tear down; demolish.
- raze: Dictionary.com Word of the Day August 23, 2014
- Marcus Aurelius"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
- Marcus Aurelius
- usie August 22, 2014usie n. A group photograph taken by one of the members of the group. Also: ussie. [us + selfie] Example Citations: When you take a photo of yourself, a “selfie” (I really don’t like that word), or with two or more people, an “usie” (I like that one even less), remember to stretch that arm out as far as it will go and hold the phone or camera up so you have t […]
- connectivity aircraft August 21, 2014connectivity aircraft n. A drone or similar aircraft outfitted with networking equipment that enables it to provide internet access to the area over which it flies. Example Citations: The deal would give Google a major boost in its race with Facebook to connect remote parts of the world to the internet. The social network has been working with experts from N […]
- Snowden effect August 20, 2014Snowden effect n. The increased awareness of the extent and scope of illegal or excessive surveillance in the wake of Edward Snowden’s revelations; the increased desire to be protected from such surveillance. Example Citations: On Thursday, Microsoft will be the latest technology company to announce plans to shield its services from outside surveillance. It […]
- otherhood August 19, 2014otherhood n. The state of being a woman who is not a mother; women who are not mothers collectively. Example Citations: We have gone without definition or visibility for too long. I am offering “Otherhood“ as a name for our misunderstood group of women doing our best to live full and meaningful lives despite the frustrations of some of our most cherished Ion […]
- SWATification August 15, 2014SWATification n. The increase in the use and militarization of police SWAT teams. —SWATify v. Example Citations: SWAT team raids in the US have gone up 25-fold since 1980. Time’s recent article about the militarization of the police reports that “the federal government has funneled $4.3 billion of military property to law enforcement agencies since the late […]
- cryptofinance August 14, 2014cryptofinance n. The use of cryptography and privacy techniques to enable financial transactions that are secret and anonymous. Also: crypto-finance. [cryptography + finance] Example Citations: Harvey has taught cryptofinance as part of an international finance course and has proposed teaching a new course next school year that would be “100 percent devoted […]
- virtual mobbing August 13, 2014virtual mobbing pp. Using online media and technologies to attack or gang up on a person. —virtual mob n. Example Citations: He uses his book to describe how one can die by Twitter. He calls his experience a virtual mobbing. —Tim Harper, “Tom Flanagan clawing back from a virtual mobbing,” The Toronto Star, April 27, 2014 The background against which the in […]
- pay-as-you-app August 12, 2014pay-as-you-app n. A mobile phone payment model where users purchase data allowances for a predefined collection of apps. Example Citations: An under-discussed aspect of the Internet.org strategy — which has already been tried in the Philippines, Paraguay and Tanzania — is the “pay-as-you-app” model, which charges users different rates for data consumed by di […]
- thumbstopper August 8, 2014thumbstopper n. An eye-catching or compelling item that makes a person stop scrolling through a list of posts, particularly when using the thumb to scroll a touchscreen device. Example Citations: Logic would suggest that thumbstoppers are much easier to accomplish with big consumer brands like Oreos, McDonalds, and Wendy’s because there’s a wider audience of […]
- solutionism August 7, 2014solutionism n. The belief that every problem has a solution, particular one that utilizes technology. —solutionist n. Example Citations: As Silicon Valley keeps corrupting our language with its endless glorification of disruption and efficiency — concepts at odds with the vocabulary of democracy — our ability to question the “how” of politics is weakened. Si […]
- usie August 22, 2014
More Blog Stuff